Clippesby in art
Engraving of Clippesby Church by Robert Ladbrooke c.1820
Clippesby Church, painted by John Sell Cotman at the beginning of the 19th century. Cotman was a leading member of the Norwich School of Artists, counting W. Turner and D. Rosetti among his painting friends. He traveled widely in the county, making etchings of ancient buildings, and painting ships at Great Yarmouth.
This watercolour is privately owned and sadly we cannot reproduce it in colour, but it is clear to see that at that time the entire roof, including the stumpy tower, was thatched.
John William Waterhouse, RA (1849 - 1917)
Clippesby Hall, Norfolk in 1915 by John W. Waterhouse, Signed and inscribed on the reverse, oil on board 10" x 14"
Contemporary photo of the south terrace.
(For other historic photos of the Hall, see the Clippesby Hall section of The Changing Landscape)
Photos taken in Waterhouse's studio, (location unknown). Courtesy of Jamie Kenworthy
Mrs. Arthur Kenworthy modelled for the painting "The Sorceress" 1914
A sketch for The Sorceress (part of this painting can also be seen in the picture on the left)
Intriguingly here labelled "The Marchioness of Downshire".
In fact this face bears a striking resemblance to the beautiful ladies in very many of Waterhouse's paintings
There are many reproductions of this painting on line, and date the painting a year earlier than Jamie's photos
Explanation of Waterhouse's connection to Peregrine Feeny's family and Clippesby:-
In 1883 he married Esther Kenworthy (they had two children, both of whom died in infancy)
Peregrine Feeny, landscape painter and resident at Clippesby Hall from 1909 to 1918(?), married Emily Kenworthy, so the two artists were brothers-in-law. Arthur Kenworthy, also living at the Hall, was brother
to Esther and Emily. John W. Waterhouse made frequent visits to his in-laws here at Clippesby.
Anna Louise Kenworthy (Mrs Arthur Kenworthy) portrait painted by J.W. Waterhouse.
(mother of Nelson Attlee Kenworthy and therefore grandmother of Jamie Kenworthy
who sent us many of the historical photos)
Waterhouse in the conservatory of Clippesby Hall
Peregrine Feeney painting by Clippesby Lake.
Peregrine Feeney was also a poet; his poem The Old Clippesby Oak appeared in a volume of poems printed in 1911.
Oil paintings by James J. Allen
Norfolk landscape artist
Winter at Clippesby MIll
64 x 36 cm
Morning at Clippesby Mill
19 x 14 cm
These paintings are owned by Mr. & Mrs. K .King of Norwich, who kindly sent us the photographs
Water colours by Terry McWeeney Frequent visitor to Clippesby
Pen and Wash sketches by "Bobby" Hart visitor to Clippesby Hall
Charlie Turner, Clippesby village resident, posed in an Acle art class
Drawings by G. Malcolm Brown 1981
Clippesby Church in Spring by Pauline Willmott c.1985 Donated to the church as a raffle prize and won by Mr. John Lindsay
Clippesby Church Pencil drawing by Michael Howard c.1980
Pen and wash sketches
1) Harvest near Clippesby village
2) Autumn, Hall Farm Barns by Pauline Willmott
Model of Clippesby Church
"Digital paintings" inspired by the scenery around Clippesby
by Pauline Willmott
click each picture to enlarge