Clippesby Church, painted by John Sell Cotman at the beginning of the 19th century.
Cotman was a leading member of the Norwich School of Artists, counting W. Turner and D. Rosetti among his painting friends. He travelled widely in the county, making etchings of ancient buildings, and painting ships at Great Yarmouth.
This watercolour is privately owned and sadly we cannot reproduce it in colour, but it is clear to see that the entire roof, including the stumpy tower, was thatched.
A tiny Saxon carving, showing a woman with a dove.
Engraving of Clippesby Church by Robert Ladbrooke c.1820
Clippesby Church pre 1873. Standing at the top of an incline, it would have been easily visible from the main road.
(note the absence of the octagonal section of the tower)
A similar view of Clippesby Church in 1985, now only just visible through the trees.
Clippesby Church interior, pre 1873 and a similar view, pre 1950, in which the inscription round the arch can just be seen
Clippesby Church chancel 2014
Clippesby Parish Room Rev'd Rivett is standing in the doorway.
(right) By 1985 ~ fallen into disrepair. Demolished soon after.
Rev'd Rivett in the doorway of the Rectory
Clippesby Church from the south as it appeared in 1911 (fewer trees, but a lot of ivy) photo courtesy Jamie Kenworthy
The Rectory in 1985
Clippesby Church in 1946
The Rectory in December 2014
1985 The shadowy figure of Mr Edgar Fuller, churchwarden for 25 years, is just visible in the porch